Welcome to the official website for Perry Athletics. This will be your source for updates, schedules, links to team sites, twitter updates and much more yet to come. We are proud of Perry Athletics and we want to share that with the community. We hope that this website will be helpful and useful to you as you support Perry Athletics. Go Perry!
Be sure to check official team athletic websites for the most up to date news. Note: If the twitter widget on the right side does not display any info you can click here to see the latest updates.
The Perry Athletic Department would like to invite all Perry Employees, Community Members, and Former Wrestlers to a reception for our 2014 State Championship Wrestling Team this Sunday March 9th at 5:00pm in the High School Main Gym. The reception will celebrate a wonderful season and to give thanks to our coaching staff and most importantly our wrestlers. We are EXTREMELY PROUD of these men and encourage everyone to stop out Sunday Evening!!
Senior David Bavery has been selected as a nominee for Wrestler of the Year from JJ Huddle.com. The way David will win this award is by getting the most votes. CLICK HERE to vote for David as Wrestler of the Year!
The Wrestling team continued their season of dominance as they more than doubled the point total of 2nd place in winning their first ever State Individual Tournament to go along with their State Dual Tournament Championship last month. David Bavery, Casey Sparkman, and Tony Dailey each won State Championships. That was the 2nd time for Bavery as he also won in 2012 and is a 4xState Placer. Tommy Genetin, Jose Rodriguez, Jake Newhouse, and Nick Steed all finished Runner-Up. Isaac Bast placed 3rd overall and Stephano Millin and Jason Spencer finished 5th and 7th respectively.
Both Basketball teams’ seasons came to a close after tournament losses. Tristan Williams joined Lucas Kelley and Hannah Luke in qualifying to the Indoor Track State Meet by running 1:59.73 in the 800 meter run. All three will compete Saturday at the University of Akron.
Varsity Athletic Results
- Boys Basketball – Sectional Tournament: Stow L 39-62, Overall Record 5-17, League Record 3-9
- Girls Basketball – District Tournament: Hoover L 23-60, Overall Record 14-11, League Record 3-9
- Wrestling - 1st Place at State Individual Tournament – 3 State Champions (David Bavery, Casey Sparkman, and Tony Dailey out of 10 State Placers, Overall Record 14-1, League Record 9-0
The planned reception for the Perry High School State Championship Wrestling Team for Sunday, March 2nd, has been postponed due to the possibility of severe winter weather. This event will be rescheduled for a future date.
The Perry Wrestling team set a new record with 11 individuals advancing to the State Tournament next week in winning the District Championship at Mentor on Saturday. Champions on the day were Tommy Genetin, Jose Rodriguez, David Bavery, Casey Sparkman, Isaac Bast and Stefano Millin. The other qualifiers were – Jake Newhouse 2nd, Tony Dailey 2nd, Jason Spencer 3rd, Nick Steed 3rd, and Seth Maylor 3rd. Carlie Perretta finished 6th overall at the State Swim Tournament on Saturday to earn All-Ohio status and break her own record again in the 100 breaststroke. The Girls Basketball team picked up 2 tournament wins over Warren Howland and New Philadelphia to match up this week with Hoover in the next round. Rachel Jackson advanced to the District Tournament in Gymnastics as the team finished 9th overall. In middle school action, the wrestling team won the OAC State Duals Championship by winning all 5 matches.
Varsity Athletic Results
- Boys Basketball – Canton South L 58-64, GlenOak L 63-67, Overall Record 5-16, League Record 3-9
- Girls Basketball – Sectional Semifinal: Warren Howland W 60-45, Sectional Final: New Philadelphia W 48-36, Overall Record 14-10, League Record 3-9
- Gymnastics - 9th out of 22 teams at Sectional Tournament – Rachel Jackson advanced to District Tournament
- Girls Swimming – Carlie Perretta finished 6th in the 100 Breaststroke at State Meet to earn All-Ohio, Overall Record 9-6 League Record 2-4
- Wrestling - 1st Place at District Championship – 11 State Qualifiers, Overall Record 14-1, League Record 9-0
The Perry Middle School Wrestling Team competed at the OAC State Duals Tournament on Sunday February 23rd. When the dust settled, the team had captured Perry’s First Jr. High State Championship. The team went 5 and 0 on the day by the following scores:
Perry Edison 72 Logan Hocking 25
Perry Edison 79 Mentor Shore 15
Perry Edison 48 Midview 46
Perry Edison 75 Olmstead Falls 18
Perry Edison 50 Marysville 47