We are… PERRY
Welcome to the official website for Perry Athletics. This will be your source for updates, schedules, links to team sites, twitter updates and much more yet to come. We are proud of Perry Athletics and we want to share that with the community. We hope that this website will be helpful and useful to you as you support Perry Athletics. Go Perry!
Be sure to check official team athletic websites for the most up to date news. Note: If the twitter widget on the right side does not display any info you can click here to see the latest updates.
From his first job at the University of Arizona, to coaching the Perry wrestling team for the last 28 years, Coach Dave Riggs has racked up the accomplishments. His latest being the most impressive. Coach David Riggs was named the National High School Wrestling Coach of the Year by the National Wrestling Coaches Association. After leading the Panthers to their first team title in 2014, Riggs learned of his national award through email. When he first read it, he was shocked. Then after letting it sink in, he feels very grateful and honored of the award. Coach Riggs stats are beyond impressive: 3rd in the State in the last 12 years, 9 times state runner up as a team, 28 individual state champs and 100 state placers, last 19 years as Federal League champs with a record of 142-2. Congrats to Coach Riggs and the entire Panther Wrestling Program.
The Football team won their first game of the season Friday vs New Philadelphia 35-27. Braxton Berry had a huge game rushing for 214 yards and 4 touchdowns. Keishaun Sims scored the other touchdown and rushed for 98 yards. The Girls Soccer team won both their games this week against McKinley and Tallmadge. Against McKinley, Leslie Bast and Kasie Perretta each scored 3 goals. Boys Soccer went 2-2 in a busy week beating McKinley and Masillon before falling to Wadsworth and Central Catholic. The Girls Tennis team got their first win of the season vs Akron St. Vincent/St. Mary. Girls Golf beat Ridgewood and lost to Dover in a 3-way match. The Girls Volleyball team won against Akron St. Vincent/St. Mary and Lake before falling to Wooster. The Boys Cross Country team finished 6th out of 21 teams at the Slippery Rock Invitational and the Girls Cross Country team finished 12th out of 34 teams at the Boardman Spartan Invitational.
Varsity Athletic Results
- Boys Cross Country - 6th out of 21 teams at the Slippery Rock Invitational, Overall Record 36-19
- Girls Cross Country – 12th out of 34 teams at Boardman Spartan Invitational, Overall Record 76-51
- Football - New Philadelphia W 35-27, Overall Record 1-2
- Boys Golf – Competed at Wooster Generals Invitational, Jackson L 166-150, Overall Record 1-2, League Record 1-2
- Girls Golf – Tri (Dover 177 – Perry 217 – Ridgewood 265), Overall Record 3-5, League Record 0-2
- Boys Soccer – McKinley W 7-0, Massillon W 3-2, Wadsworth L 0-1, Central Catholic L 1-4, Overall Record 5-5, League Record 1-1
- Girls Soccer - McKinley 9-0, Tallmadge W 1-0, Overall Record 4-3, League Record 1-1
- Girls Tennis – St. Vincent/St. Mary W 3-2, Central Catholic L 1-4, Overall Record 1-7, League Record 0-3
- Girls Volleyball – St. Vincent/St. Mary W 3-0, Lake W 3-2, Wooster L 0-3, Overall Record 5-4, League Record 2-1
Thank you to the Perry Community! PHS Men’s Golf Booster Club had a successful outing on Sunday, September 7, 2014 at Tam O’Shanter’s Hills golf course. 159 golfers, including coaches and PHS alumni golfers, several sponsors and 13 volunteers showed support to our young men while enjoying a beautiful day of golf, fellowship and a steak dinner provided by Falcone’s. Your generous support is greatly appreciated and we encourage Continue reading
This past week the Boys Cross Country team finished 8th out of 17 teams at a muddy Walsh Jesuit Invitational lead by Johnny Stevenson’s 16th place finish out of 135 runners. The Girls Cross Country team ran at one of the largest meets in the country finishing 14th out of 37 teams at the Tiffin Carnival Invitational and had many season best times. The Football team lost to 13th Street neighboring Central Catholic 13-24 with Nick Myers scoring the Panthers touchdown. Drew Waggoner kicked 2 Field Goals. Both Soccer teams rebounded from tough losses early in the week to Jackson to pick up victories with the Boys beating Garfield lead by Ben Zuniga’s goal and the Girls won against Barberton with goals from Kasie Perretta and Katie Zuniga. The Volleyball team picked up a league win Hoover and then beat Centerburg and Triway on Saturday.
Varsity Athletic Results
- Boys Cross Country - 8th out of 17 teams at the Walsh Jesuit Tomahawk Run Invitational, Overall Record 21-14
- Girls Cross Country – 14th out of 37 teams at Tiffin Carnival Invitational, Overall Record 54-40
- Football - Central Catholic L 13-24, Overall Record 0-2
- Boys Golf – Hoover match canceled and rescheduled for 9/15, Overall Record 1-1, League Record 1-1
- Girls Golf – Hoover L 212-204, Overall Record 2-4, League Record 0-2
- Boys Soccer – Jackson L 0-8, Akron Garfield W 1-0, Overall Record 3-3, League Record 0-1
- Girls Soccer - Jackson L 0-4, Barberton W 2-1, Overall Record 2-3, League Record 0-1
- Girls Tennis – Hoover L 0-5, Overall Record 0-5, League Record 0-3
- Girls Volleyball – Hoover W 2-1, Riverview L 0-2, Centerburg W 2-0, Triway W 2-0, Overall Record 3-3, League Record 1-1
The big game of this week was the Varsity Football game against Massillon on the new turf in a sold out stadium. The team came up short 30-37 but looked much improved with Braxton Berry gaining 203 yards rushing with 2 Touchdowns and Keishaun Sims picking up 175 yards rushing and 2 Touchdowns. Johnny Stevenson’s 8th place finish at the Dave Clegg Hoover Invitational helped the Boys Cross Country team to a 7th place finish. Carlie Perretta ran a season best time finishing 22nd at Mentor to help the Girls Cross Country team finish 7th. Boys Golf picked up a win against McKinley. Boys Soccer won 4-0 against Akron Ellet lead by a pair of goals from Steven Galica.
Varsity Athletic Results
- Boys Cross Country - 7th out of 18 teams at the Dave Clegg Hoover Invitational, Overall Record 12-7
- Girls Cross Country – 7th out of 15 teams at Mentor Cardinal Classic Invitational, Overall Record 31-27
- Football - Massillon L 30-37, Overall Record 0-1
- Boys Golf – McKinley W 171-239, Overall Record 1-1, League Record 1-1
- Girls Golf – Lake L 212-188, Garaway L 205-193, Overall Record 2-3, League Record 0-1
- Boys Soccer - Akron Ellet W 4-0, Boardman L 0-2, Overall Record 2-2
- Girls Soccer - Green L 1-3, Overall Record 1-2
- Girls Tennis – Wooster L 2-3, Jackson L 0-5, Overall Record 0-4, League Record 0-3
- Girls Volleyball – Jackson L 0-3, Overall Record 0-2, League Record 0-1
We are excited to release a custom app for the Perry Local School District as well as each individual school. This app will allow you to have access to school dates, forms, teacher contacts and much more. There is a place for students to set assignment reminders, an anonymous tip line to report instances of bullying, cheating or other illegal activities. You will also get push notifications from the district and the schools if you choose. And best of all…it’sFREE! Download today and start enjoying better communications with your school. Click on the picture that works with your mobile device.