The Boys Basketball home game vs GlenOak originally scheduled January 28th and then later rescheduled for February 5th is now scheduled for Wednesday, February 19th. The JV game will tip off at 6:00pm and the Varsity will follow at 7:30pm.
The Perry Wrestling Team won their first ever State Championship on Saturday at St. John Arena in Columbus. The team qualified to the tournament as the top seed and won all 3 matches decisively. The team started the day with a 54-9 win over Delaware Hayes. Up next was defending State Champion and long time nemesis St. Edward. St. Edward edged out the Panthers last year in the first year of the State Dual Tournament and have been the team standing in the way of a State Individual Tournament Championship for years. The Panther wrestlers won 48-15 securing key bonus points in the early matches to put it away. In the championship match Brecksville fell to the Panthers 48-9 to give Coach Dave Riggs and the Perry Wrestling Team their first state championship.
The tournament was a total team effort as every wrestler contributed in winning matches throughout the 3 duals. For more information check out the great coverage from Massillon Independent sports writer Chris Easterling: Perry Wrestlers Win Division I State Duals Title, Perry Second to None
The wrestling season is not over yet. The team still has the individual state tournament to compete in with the Sectional Championship being hosted at Perry this weekend. Coach Riggs has been building this great program for 20 years and will look to sweep both the State Dual Championship and the State Individual Tournament! Click here to view the video of the team receiving the State Trophy: http://youtu.be/DWFFUPSvHBc
It was a great weekend for Perry Athletics. The Perry Wrestling team won their first State Championship rolling through 3 matches against Delaware Hayes, St. Edward, and Brecksville. Everyone who wrestled won at least 1 match to help the team win the tournament. In swimming action, Carlie Perretta won both the 500 freestyle and the 100 breast stroke at the Sectional Championships to lead the Perry girls to a 6th place finish. The Boys Swim team finished 10th. Girls Basketball picked up a pair of wins over Louisville and Woodridge. The bowling teams picked up wins over Canton South. Also on Friday night, Panther Alumni Nick Heflin helped lead his Ohio State Wrestling team to a win over Michigan State 39-6 right here at Perry High School!
Varsity Athletic Results
- Boys Basketball – Mansfield Senior L 39-56, McKinley L 39-59, Overall Record 4-11, League Record 3-6
- Girls Basketball – Louisville W, Hoover L 34-69, Woodridge W 67-38, Overall Record 11-10, League Record 3-9
- Boys Bowling – Canton South W 2896-2794
- Girls Bowling – Canton South W 2444-2114
- Boys Swimming – Sectionals – 10th Place, Overall Record 7-8, League Record 2-4
- Girls Swimming –Sectionals – 6th Place, Overall Record 9-6 League Record 2-4
- Wrestling – State Dual Meet Tournament Matches – Delaware Hayes W 54-9, St. Edward W 48-15, Brecksville W 48-9 – State Dual Champions, Overall Record 14-1, League Record 9-0
Tonight’s scheduled Boys Basketball game vs GlenOak and Girls Basketball game vs Hoover have been canceled.
There were not a lot of athletic events competed this week with the school cancellations but that didn’t slow down some of our athletic teams. The Wrestling team clinched a State Dual Tournament birth with wins over Jackson and Lake Wednesday and then on Thursday beat Hoover to win their 16th straight Federal League Championship. The swim teams had some good performances against Dover and Massillon in a tri-meet and against Central. Carlie Perretta set a new school record in the 400 freestyle. The old record was from 2009 by Kasey Fisher. Despite losses to Jackson the varsity bowling teams are still performing well this season and the JV Boys pulled off a big win to improve their record. The competition cheerleading team also advanced to their state tournament.
Varsity Athletic Results
- Girls Basketball – GlenOak L 48-63, Overall Record 9-9, League Record 3-8
- Boys Bowling – Jackson L 2650-3003, Overall Record 10-3, League Record 5-3
- Girls Bowling – Jackson L 2707-2817, Overall Record 8-4, League Record 5-3
- Boys Swimming – Hoover L 62-121, Dover/Massillon Tri-Meet – 2nd (107-140-70), Central W 90-86, Overall Record 7-8, League Record 2-4
- Girls Swimming – Hoover L 88-99, Dover/Massillon Tri-Meet – 1st (136-111-67), Central W 89-87, Overall Record 9-6 League Record 2-4
- Wrestling – State Dual Meet Regional Tournament Matches – Jackson W 66-3 & Lake W 48-15, Hoover 74-4, Overall Record 11-1, League Record 9-0
The Boys Basketball game originally scheduled against Buchtel for Saturday, February 1st has been canceled. No makeup date has been announced.