1) List a topic and a series of 3-4 words or short phrases with
all but one of which connects to or “fits with” the topic.
2) The students draw a line through the word that does not
connect with the topic and circle the words that do.
3) Then the students explain why the words are connected and
they the crossed-out word is not.
Polygons: triangle, circle, pentagon, octagon
- Triangle, pentagon and octagon are all polygons because they are closed figures made from line segments.
- Circle doesn’t belong because it is a closed figure without line segments.