Get ready for some MMA–Mixed Martial Accounting! Enter the octagon!
Week of Apr. 22:
- Mon.: finish any and all app. prob. work from chapt. 10. Mastery 10.5 is just like the test, which is tomorrow.
- Tues.: test over chapt. 10. Working papers permitted.
- Wed.: 11.1 aud. quest. and terms, WT and OYO should be completed on pg. 258.
- Thurs.: same as above but 11.2.
- Friday: appl. prob. 11.1 and 11.2.
Week of Apr. 15:
- Monday: 10.1 WT and OYO due at end of class. Begin 10.2 audit questions and terms.
- Tues.: finish 10.2 audit questions and terms, finish 10.2 WT and OYO.
- Wed.: audit questions and terms for 10.3, complete 10.3 WT and OYO. Some can start 10.4 WT and OYO.
- Thurs.: 10.4 WT and OYO due as well as audit questions and terms on page 243.
- Friday: begin appl. prob. on page 245. The following problems are due on Tuesday of next week: 10.1 through 10.5.
Week of Apr. 8:
- Mon.: Dave Ramsey part 3 video covering retirement plans and options and how to avoid some taxes.
- Tues.: audit questions and terms from 10.1 in text. These are due at the end of class.
- Wed.: finalize chapt. 3 of Dave Ramsey, get ready for test on Friday.
Week of Apr. 1:
- Mon: Dave Ramsey parts 5 and 6 for personal investment options of chapt. 2. Venn Diagram on stocks and bonds will be distributed. You will complete this with a partner during class time.
- Tues.: summarize personal investment options on a handout during class with a partner. Study for the chapt 2 test on Thurs.
- Wed.: complete the review at the end of chapt. 2 in the Big D-Dave Ramsey workbook.
- Thurs.: chapt. 2 test.
Week of Mar. 18:
- Mon.: review for tomorrow’s test covering chapt. 1 of the Dave Ramsey personal finance curriculum. No notes, no books permitted.
- pages 18-19 in the Dave Ramsey workbook are valuable in studying for the test.
- Tues.: test covering chapt. 1 of Dave Ramsey’s “savings” success.
Week of Mar. 4:
- Mon.: Dave Ramsey financial workshop, part 2, covering the 2nd baby step of creating a fully funded emerg. exp. account.
- Tues.: recycle prob 8.1 due at end of class. It is found @ the back of the textbook. My substitute will have the paper for you to complete it on.
Week of Feb. 26
- Mon.: in-class article review re: the 4 Ps of financial success.
- Tues.: chapt. 9 study guide
- Wed. and Thurs.: chapt. 9 test
- Fri.: Dave Ramsey personal financial wisdom begins!
Week of Feb 19:
- Report to comp. lab (room 153) all week. We will be finishing any unfinished projects.
Week of Feb. 11:
- Mon. and Tues.: 9.2 WT and OYO.
- Tues. and Wed.: 9.3 WT and OYO, attempt those and use the text as a guide. Audit questions and terms due at end of class. Finish 9.2 WT and OYO and 9.3 WT and OYO.
- 9.3 OYO will be taken for a grade on Thurs.
- Thurs. and Fri.: AP 9.1-9.3 due @ end of Fri.’s class. They are just like the work from the text, use your WP as a guide.
Week of Feb. 4:
- Mon.: in-class review for chapt. 8 test.
- Tues.-Wed.: chapt. 8 test.
- Thurs. and Fri.: 9.1 and 9.2 WT and OYO. This covers adj. entr. and closing entr. in the GJ. This is the base for next week’s gen. ledg. entries from the GJ.
Week of Jan. 29:
Report to comp. lab (room 153) to complete auto. acct. work. We will only be there Mon.-Thurs.
- Mon.-Tues.: 6.1 and 6.2 (selected financial reports)
- Wed.: various reports from chapt. 8
- Thurs.: reinfo. activity (ca$h account from gen. ledg.)
- Fri.: report to classroom for chapt. 8 test.
Week of Jan. 22:
- Tues.: finish Mastery Problem 8-4 in working papers and textbook. It is the hand-written version of AA8.2.
- Wed.-Fri.: report to comp. lab in frosh. wing (room 153.)
Week of Jan. 14:
- Mon.: WT and OYO page 185–making a balance sheet with zero errors.
- Tues- Thurs: Application prob. 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3.
Week of Jan. 7:
Mon.-Thurs.: Report to room 153 (comp. lab. in frosh. wing.) We will start auto. acct. and the following files in AUTOMATED ACCOUNTING correspond to the following application and mastery problems:
Week of Jan. 2:
- Wed.: break into groups of 3. One person is a recorder and the other 2 are information gatherers. Read pages 174-179. Develop an outline covering those pages.
- It should include any concepts which are italicized, also how to make an income statement, the definition of income, and the relevant component percentage data. Include net loss information, too. Include any other info. you feel is important.
- Due at end of class on Wed.
- Thurs.: Complete WT and OYO on page 180. Goal: 100% accuracy when making an income statement and finding component percentages.
- Fri.: complete an outline with 1 or 2 other students covering 8.2 in the text. You pick the relevant info. This is due @ the end of class on Friday.
- We will begin auto. acct. in preparation for reporting to computer lab 153 next week, Mon.-Thurs.
Week of Dec. 17:
- Mon.: finish chapt. 7 study guide.
- Tues. and Wed.: mid-term exam covering chapt. 7. You will complete 2 worksheets, each is 8-columns and both companies have a net profit.
Week of Dec. 10:
- Mon.: 7.4 audit questions and terms due at end of class. We will be practicing how to locate errors in accounting worksheets. This will help you with your personal finances, as well.
- Tues.: 7.4 WT will be reviewed in class. Begin 7.4 OYO.
- Wed.: you should finish 7.4 OYO during today’s class.
- Thurs. and Fri.: 7.5 Mastery due at end of Thursday’s class. Article review and questions due at end of class on Fri. Goals: complete an 8-column worksheet and find net income or net loss with no accounting errors. If there is an error, use one of the techniques found in the book or article.
Week of Dec. 3:
- Mon.: finish recycle problems 4.1-6.1. If you don’t finish them during class, take them home. These are due Tues. JOURNALIZE, POST, RECONCILE! These are practice problems.
- Tues.: 7.3 WT and OYO. Audit questions and terms are due at the end of class. This is a continuation of the 8-column worksheet.
- Wed.: review of 7.3 and how we finish columns 5-8. QUESTION: WHY DO WE DO THESE 8-COLUMN WORKSHEETS?.
- Thurs.: finish 7.3 Golden Tan worksheet and Kragan’s Copies worksheets. Begin working on AP 7.1-7.4.
- Friday: continue working on AP 7.1-7.4.
Week of Nov. 26:
- Tues and Wed.: some will be finishing the chapt. 6 test. Other will start chapt. 7.
- Wed. and Thurs.: complete in-class audit questions and terms for section 7.1. Then, we will watch a short PowerPoint on the lesson, and complete WT and OYO for 7.1.
- Thurs.: complete 7.2 WT and OYO. Audio and visual lesson, be prepared to listen and follow for making correcting entries. Goal: 100% accuracy showing adjustment entries, beginning debit balances, and month ending debit balances.
- Fri: PRACTICE! Recycling problems 4-1 through 6-1. Handout will be provided in-class. Journalizing transactions, posting to a GL, and reconciling.
Week of Nov. 19:
- Mon. and Tues.: make sure 6.5 Mastery Prob. is complete as well as the Reinfo. Activity at end of chapt. 6. Both will be taken for a grade.
- Wed.: chapt. 6 test.
Week of Nov. 12: (Accounting Club applications due by end of class on Friday, 11/16.)
- Mon. and Tues.: if you haven’t yet finished the check-writing exercises, I will look in Pinnacle and let you know if you need to finish them. Begin the reinforcement exercise on page 145 in the textbook.
- Wed.: check writing exercise, due @ the end of class.
- Thurs. and Fri.: reinf. activity at end of chapt. 6 due on Friday. Journalize, then post to individual accounts, and finally balance the checkbook. Ca$h should have no errors!
Week of Nov. 5:
- Monday: read pages 130-133. Answer audit questions and define terms on pg. 134. These are due at the end of class on Tues. We will complete WT and OYO for 6.3 today.
- Tuesday: complete terms and audit questions for petty cash, section 6.4. We will complete WT and OYO in class today! Appl. prob. 6.1-6.6 due next Tues.
- Make sure aud. quest. & terms for 6.3 and 6.4 are completed and turned in to me. Make sure you are working on the AP! I will look at AP 6.3 today to ensure you are working on them correctly.
Week of Oct. 29th:
- Mon. and Tues.: in-class exercise on writing checks and carrying a balance forward. This will be collected at the end of class on Tues. Goal: 100% accuracy when writing a check. Don’t overpay people!
- Thurs. and Friday: finish in-class check writing exercises with no mistakes. We will also watch a video about Facebook and its work environment.
Week of Oct. 22:
- Mon.: read pages 118-123 (checking accounts). Complete audit questions and terms on page 124. We will complete WT on page 124 during class; you will complete OYO individually. Goal: 100% accuracy when we write a check!
- Tues.: OYO for 6.1 is due. Turn in audit questions and terms from 6.1.
- Wed.-Thurs: first quarter common assessment. Goal: cash account must be 100% accurate.
- Thurs.-Fri.: complete appl. prob. 6-1 (writing checks). Checks and account balances must be 100% accurate.
- read 125-128 in textbook covering checkbook reconciliation. Complete terms and audit questions on page 129. We will start balancing a checking account.. Goal: full accuracy since we are handling ca$h!
Week of Oct. 15:
- Mon.-Wed.: AP 5.1-5.4 will be graded on Tues. Goal: 100% accuracy for posting individual transactions into their general ledger accounts.
- Thurs. and Fri.: chapt. 5 test. It will mirror problem 5.4 in the application problems.
- This means you will have to complete a general journal, then post into the individual accounts in a ledger.
Week of Oct. 8:
- Mon. & Tues.: we will start file maintenance in chapt. 5. Read pages 94-99. Complete audit questions & terms on page 100–DO NOT TURN IN TO ME YET. Page 97 is our guide. Page 100 has exercises on it; WT will be done as a class, OYO is done “solo.” WT and OYO for 5.1 are due on Wed.
- Wed: we will post from a GJ to a GL. We will take our debits and credits from a GJ and put those transactions into the individual accounts in a general ledger. 5.2 WT and OYO are due on Thurs.
- Thurs. and Friday: begin appl. prob. 5.1 and 5.2. These are due on Friday @ the end of class. Goal is to post from a GJ to a GL with 100% accuracy.
Week of Oct. 1
- Mon: begin workin on appl. prob. 4.1-4.5. These will be taken for a grade on Tues. and Wed. All are due on Wed.
- Wed.: study guide for the test, due on Thurs.
- Thurs.: test covering entries in the general journal. Know terms from section 4.1 and how to journalize a transaction into debit and credit parts.
Week of Sept. 24:
- Mon.: final day to complete AP 3.1-3.5. They will be graded and some will start chapt. 3 test.
- Tues. chapt. 3 test covering transactions and debits and credits.
- Wed-Thurs.: start chapt. 4. Target: enter account debits and credits correctly into a general journal.
- no more T-charts, now we are using actual accounting forms
- due on Thurs .: terms on page 71; audit questions on pages 71 and 75.
- Due on Fri: WT & OYO for sections 4.1-4.4. Also, complete audit questions for sections 4.3 and 4.4.
Week of Sept. 17:
- Monday: read pages 40-50. Define terms and answer audit question on pages 44 & 50. Goal: analyze transactions into correct debit and credit parts on a T-account. Know the origins of the words “debit” and “credit” and their abbreviations.
- Tuesday: WT and OYO are due for textbook section 3-1 and 3-2.
- Wed.-Fri: complete 3.3 OYO & WT. Goal: correctly enter the transactions into debits and credits. When done w/those, AP 3.1-3.5 will be graded. Due during Wednesday’s class: audit questions on page 56.
Week of Sept. 10:
- Monday: finish appl. problems 2.1-2.3. Start 2.4.
- Tuesday: 2.4 will be taken for a grade. Start review sheet covering chapt 2.
- Wednesday: begin chapt. 2 test. GOAL: KEEP ALOE IN BALANCE AND SUCCESSFULLY CREATE A BALANCE SHEET..
Week of Sept. 4:
- Tues.: finish chapt. 1 test and review question #2. We will introduce chapter 2 by adding one more account to the asset side of ALOE. GOAL: keep ALOE in balance.
- Wed. through Fri.: Turn in audit questions from 2.1. Complete OYO and WT for 2.1 and 2.2 (making balance sheets). You are not doing any math, just making the balance sheets from the provided info. Appl. problems 2.1 through 2.3 due at end of class on Friday–keep ALOE IN BALANCE.
Week of Aug. 27th:
- Monday through Wed.: KEEP THE ACCOUNTING EQUATION IN BALANCE while completing AP 1.1-1.6 in the working papers. I will grade these beginning Tues.
- Wed and Thurs.: chapt. 1 test covering THE ACCOUNTING EQUATION AND KEEPING IT IN BALANCE. You may use your working papers, also.
Week of Aug. 21st:
- We will discuss the course objectives, expectations, and review our website which will have daily and weekly goals.
- Wed.: answer audit questions and define terms on page 8, please put both of these on the same sheet of paper. We will start WT on page 8 and you will finish OYO on page 8 as an individual.
- Thurs.: read pages 9-12, we will begin WT page 12. You will complete OYO on page 12 individually. Complete 1-3 (balance sheet) WT and OYO.
- Fri.: we will start appl. problems @ the end of chapt. 1. Goal: finish AP 1.1 and start 1.2.
- Things to have completed in your working papers: OYO & WT for 1.1-1.3.
- When done w/those, start application problems. I will be grading all of the application problems.
We will be covering basic concepts these first few weeks. I want you to master these topics before we move on to later exercises. There will be practice and repetition early and often.
Week of May 21st:
- Fitness Junction work that will be graded: bank recon., GJ entry #1, and all work through form 27. Info. has been entered in Pinnacle and selected journals will be graded beginning on Wed.
Week of May 14th:
- Continue working in the Fitness Junction Packet. I will grade days 1-3 on Wed.
- Start day 4 by Thursday. Focus on organizational skills.
Week of May 7th:
- Exam review on Mon. and Tues.: chapters 10 and 11 will cover the exam. Know how to enter payments in the sales journal, cash payments journal, as well as how to prove cash. Application problems will be the basis for the exam on Friday (for seniors.)
Juniors: we will start the Fitness Juntion packet.
Week of April 30th:
- Application problems 11.1-11.3 due on Thursday and Friday. I will begin grading them on Thurs. and all are due on Fri. Use your time wisely.
Week of April 23rd:
- Test on Monday covering chapt. 10. Bring WP to class.
- Wed.-Friday: chapt. 11 exercises to be graded are 11.1 WT and OYO and 11.2 WT and OYO during Friday’s class. Use your text as a resource. I will assist you as will some other students. Chapter 11 is only 8 pages total.
Week of April 16th:
- Monday: start mastery problem 10.5 on page 246 of the textbook. All problems due on Thursday. Use your time wisely.
Week of April 10th:
- Tues.: complete appl. prob. 10-1 from book on page 245. It will be taken for a grade at the end of class.
- Wed.: read pages 240-242; we will complete WT on pg. 243. You will complete OYO individually. Grade will be taken @ end of class on Wed.
- Thurs. and Fri.: complete appl. prob. 10-2 through 10-4. Grades will be taken during Friday’s class.
Week of March 26th:
- Monday: read pages 220-227. Answer the “audit” questions on page 228 on a sheet of paper. On the same piece of paper, define the following terms: merchandising business, retail merchandising business, wholesale merchandising business, cost of merchandise, markup, terms of sale. These will be taken for a grade.
- Tues.: complete WT and OYO (page 228) solo. Simply enter the date, vendor, and amount. Use the text as a guide.
- Wed. 10.2 WT and OYO will be completed in-class for a grade. Smartboard will be used to illustrate these valuable accounting concepts for specific journals.
Week of March 19th:
- Finish the 8-column worksheet on page 199 of the WP. Columns 5-8 will be taken for a grade on Tuesday. The post-closing trial balance, adjusting and closing entries, and income statement are due on Wed. Use the text book, page 160-b for help w/the worksheet. Use chapts. 8 and 9 for completing the other financial statements.
Week of OGT:
- Complete 8-column worksheet on page 199 of WP. Then complete pgs. 200-201 of WP. The 8-column worksheet must be completed before you can finish pages 200-201. These will be taken for a grade next week.
Week of March 5th:
- Monday and Tues: chapt. 9 test; bring WP to class.
- Wed.: review adj. and closing ent. from test.
- Thurs.-Fri.: reinforcement activity activity which is located right after ch. 9 in the text. WP are needed.
Week of Feb. 27th:
- Mon.: read the post-closing trial balance in the text on pages 204-208. We will complete the WT exercises in-class. WT and OYO will be taken for a grade on Tues.
- Tues.: complete appl. prob. 9.3. Grade will be taken on Wed.
- Wed. answer “audit your understanding” questions on page 196 (questions 1 and 2); pg. 203 (questions 1, 2, and 3); page 209 all questions. Please answer the questions by writing your legible answers on a piece of paper.
- Thurs. and Fri.: review for next Monday’s test covering chapt. 9. If I haven’t yet graded any chapt. 9 exercises I will do that today.
Week of Feb. 20th:
- Monday: we will watch a video during class about conflict resolution. Oftentimes this topic is not discussed for individuals getting ready to enter the workforce.
- Tues.: read 197-202 in text. We will complete WT during class. Working papers page 171 is needed.
- Wed. Complete the general journal for 9.2 WT and OYO for a grade. Start appl. prob. 9.2 and the general journal portion (pg. 181) will be graded it on Thurs.
- If I haven’t graded any of the above, it will be graded during Friday’s class. We will complete any make-up work today and I will assist individually, as needed.
Week of Feb. 13th:
- Mon.: read pages 192-195. We will complete page 196-WT together. This takes time and patience…we will be flipping back and forth in the WP.
- Tues.: complete OYO on page 196 individually. Our guide for this will be WT.
- Wed.-Thurs.: complete AP 9.1 on page 211 of the text. This will be taken for a grade on Thurs. morning.
- No school Friday but check this site for important updates over the weekend!
Week of Feb. 6th:
- Mon.-Tues.: complete AP 8.1-8.3 on pages 187-188 in text. Grades will be taken for these on Tues.
- Wed.: review for Thurs.; complete any work not yet done.
- Thurs.: Chapt. 8 assessment
- Fri.: I will grade any items that have not yet been entered into Pinnacle.
Week of Jan. 30th:
- Mon.: complete 7.5 Mastery on page 170 for a grade.
- Company has a net loss; amount (difference of $160) goes in columns 6 and 7 on the net loss line. There is no net income for EasyGlo.
- Tues.: review for Wed. Make sure you can complete an 8-column worksheet.
- If you can complete the Golden Tan worksheet, you can complete the test!
- Wed: Chapt. 7 assessment (bring WP to class).
- Thurs.: start Chapt. 8, reading 174-179. Complete WT and OYO on page 180. Use the text. It goes into great detail for assistance on determining net income. These will be graded on Thurs.
- Friday: read 181-184. Complete WT and OYO on page 185. Feel free to use the textbook for a very detailed explanation on completing the working papers. These will be graded on Fri.
- To computer OE, see page 183. (capital bal. + net inc. – drawing = OE)
Week of Jan. 23rd:
- Tues: review adjusting entries.
- Wed.: Pages 159-161, text and working papers are needed. The textbook and the transparencies in it are helpful.
- Thurs. appl. prob. 7.1, 7.2, start 7.3.
- Goal: putting adjusting entries in correct place in 8-column worksheet.
- Goal: 8-column worksheet is completed by simply bringing info. over from columns 1-4, matching info. from page B w/all transparencies on it.
- Friday: have 7.3 completed. 7.1-7.3 will all be taken for a grade
- When done, make sure 8-column worksheets are done for pgs. 125-126 in the WP.
- 7.1-7.3 WT Golden Tan, 7.1-7.3 OYO Cragan’s Copies, and 7.1-7.3 Appl. Prob. (Renville Rental) will all be taken for a grade.
Week of Jan. 17th:
- Tues. and Wed.: Here is a file with review questions. Feel free to open it, double-space it, and type your answers. If you prefer to write the answers on notebook paper, go for it. This will be collected at the end of class on Wed.
- Yes, use your books as a reference when answering those questions.
- Thurs. and Fri.: make sure the reinforcement activity at the end of Chapt. 6 is completed with all of the transactions entered through May 31. It will be taken for a mid-term grade covering chapters 1-6.
- Also, make sure the 40 question review paper has been completed and turned-in for a portion of the mid-term grade.
Week of Jan. 9th:
- Monday: continue working on the reinforcement activity at the end of Chapt. 6. Post debits and credits and enter the transactions in the appropriate accounts. All transactions for the month of May should be entered in the working papers. Remember, we entered transactions through May 28th and you should complete the remaining items.
- Tues: finish the reinforcement activity at the end of Chapt. 6. It will be graded at the end of Tuesday’s class.
- Some students need to finish the Part 3-Chapt. 6 test. We will do that on Tues.
- Wed.: we will continue working on and reviewing adjusting entries in Chapt. 7. This information appears in columns 3 and 4 in the 8-column worksheet.
- Thurs. and Fri.: we will watch a video on working at Facebook. A short summary will be due on Friday. Please type it in a Word doc. Answer the following questions:
- Would you like to work there and why or why not?
- Does that company’s culture fit your style?
- Surf the web and find out how much money Facebook earned last year. Provide as much info. as possible.
- Be sure to get the ACCT app. for your iPad and Droids, too. Visit www.verizon.com for this exciting feature.
Week of Jan. 4th:
- Chapt. 6 (part 3) test on Wed. Make sure you bring your working papers to class.
- Thurs.: We will begin Chapt. 7. Read pages 148-152. Be prepared to answer the “audit your understanding” questions on page 152 on paper for an in-class grade.
- Complete the WT and OYO exercises on pages 152 and 153 for a grade. If these weren’t graded on Thursday, they will be graded on Monday for partial credit.
- Pay close attention to the steps on page 151!
- Friday: Read pages 154-157 and answer the “audit your understanding” questions on page 158. Please complete these on paper and place on my desk.
Reminder: working papers (the workbook) is needed daily.